Friday, November 14, 2008

Why Choose When You Can Have Both ?

One green shoe, one red. As I've said before, if you like two pairs of shoes, get them both, and pair them up.

Here's the photographer's note:

Why Choose When You Can Have Both ?

December 8th, 2007 - Paris, France

I was trudging along in the rain behind Notre-Dame on Saturday, trying to hide my frustration at the lack of real photo opportunities behind a feigned interest in gargoyles when the friend I was with, who as a general rule finds my obession with street photography unhealthy, not to say unethical, said to me in the most matter-of-fact way, "Did you see that woman we just passed ? She was wearing different coloured shoes - it would have made a great photograph."

I barely had time to glance around before the woman in question disappeared into the crowd behind me, but it was long enough to see that indeed the potential for a great shot was there.

I walked on, my frustration doubled, trying to work out whether my friend's remark was a coded encouragement, all the more welcome for being so unexpected, to indulge my passion for once. As lightheartedly as I could manage I repeated her words. "Yes, it would have made a great photograph."

No response.

We walked on further, as the rain became increasingly heavy. We stopped beneath the awning of a souvenir store and looked absentmindedly at postcards. The missed opportunity continued to eat away at me.

Eventually, I could contain myself no more. I turned to my friend. "I have to go and get a picture of her. Wait for me here," I blurted, turning to run before she could reply.

By the time I caught up with her, the woman with the unmatching shoes - a fashion statement, or an unwitting witness to her colour-blindness ? - was almost the other side of Notre-Dame. But I caught her, and I took several shots as discreetly as I could. This is the clearest one of her shoes. You can see the whole outfit here. Trust me, it's worth it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails